Forum home Garden design

Patio lower than garden - drainage

Hi,
We've had a single storey rear extension build and now it's time to sort the garden out. The patio area is about 70cm lower than the garden...We're ready to lay a patio but what about drainage? If I build a soakaway 5m from the house, this will end up under the raised garden - so about 1m of soil sat on top of it. It also appears as if the earth at this depth is very much clay.

The old rainwater drainage - from the house roof - went straight into the foul sewer system. There's no other rainwater drainage at the back of the house to tap into.

Should I just divert patio drainage to the foul sewer or is there another practical solution?

• Photo for reference

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    If you dig a deep trench for the foundation of the retaining wall you will need to hold back all of that soil, the hardcore in the trench may double as a soakaway for you.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,281
    I think I'm right in saying that it is illegal to divert surface water to the sewerage system.
    If everyone did it the treatment plant would be overwhelmed in wet weather.
  • I think I'm right in saying that it is illegal to divert surface water to the sewerage system.
    If everyone did it the treatment plant would be overwhelmed in wet weather.
    Hi,
    From reading on the internet I understand there are exceptions?

Looking at our (semi-detached) house and the other houses on our street I do believe we have a combined surface water and sewer system. I've just looked at the drawings made by the architect for our extension and while there is only one pipework run detailed on the diagrams.