Forum home Garden design

Patio

Hi everyone, so I was dreaming about laying decking on my patio in the back garden, see photo, but got quotes in the region of £3-4K (london). My budget is around £600 max and I’m still not giving up on the idea of doing something to it to improve the looks. Is there anything else I could do at all apart from jet washing which I don’t think will change much anyway?

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Well, personally, I think it's much more attractive than decking. I would tidy up the whole area, get it jet washed and the think about a variety of containers with interesting plants. You could put some wires to encourage things up the walls by the window and allow trailing plants beside the steps. If you can find the space, I would remove all the bits and bobs and just have some simple seating. It will look great and will be easier to maintain than decking.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,932
    Decking just gets slick and nasty.  I would jet wash and reapply the mortar between the pavers.  They will look so much better scrubbed up and tidy.  
    Utah, USA.
  • The thing is that the slabs are cracked and chipped in places plus the colour is pretty bad.. how can I change that?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,173
    I agree with @Posy ... I much prefer the paving to decking .... decking needs so much maintenance to stay safe, and also decking can provide a cosy home for rats which is the last thing you need near a house. 

As Posy suggests, containers and pots of plants, grouped attractively around the patio, perhaps a trellis screen with a planter at the base to give a bit of height .... a few solar or battery powered lanterns for
    evenings on the terrace ... it could look really lovely. 

No one looks at the surface they’re standing on if you give them something else to look at 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861
    I'd also vote for no decking - awful stuff and downright dangerous in wet weather.
    If you want to give it a clean try something like this-
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005IW4GWI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I've used it for a couple of years now, it works surprisingly well and very little effort required.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Another vote for keeping the slabs. 
    Once you have cleaned them, on hands and knees with a brush if you haven't a jet washer you can seal them to keep them clean.
    You can also buy paint for outdoor floors but you would still need a clean surface.
    As posy says get rid of the clutter add a few fairy lights and some pots and it will look so much better.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,173
    You could use a few of these to create an arbour around your seating area 
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2967017

They wouldn't suit perennial climbers, but annuals such as Morning Glory and Thurnbergia would be happy there

https://www.sarahraven.com/articles/the-very-best-annual-climbers.htm
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh