Forum home Plants

Pruning a Rosa “Souvenir du Docteur Jamain”

Mike176Mike176 Posts: 21
Hello folks, hope you’re all looking forward to the Spring.
Would you be able to have a look at the below picture of a Rosa “Souvenir du Docteur Jamain” which needs to be pruned - not sure how much I should take off the left hand stem especially as there are new shoots appearing.
I’m also thinking of moving it as it’s in a place of almost permanent shade - apart from May/June.
Thanks very much 
Mike 

• B3B3 Posts: 27,330
    Had a look on Google. What a beautiful rose! 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,978
    edited March 2021
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,311
    It is a gorgeous rose with the most beautiful scent.
    I planted 2 of them to grow over my pergola, but they were never happy and died after a few years. I don't know why - roses usually thrive in Essex clay.
    As pansy mentions above, the sun fades the flowers to a rather grubby colour, but if you have the right conditions it is a stunning rose.

I replaced them with Félicité Perpétue which grew very well over the pergola

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Mike, decide if you want to grow this as a climber, in which case, it needs something to climb up. As a climber, I wouldn't prune anything this year. Mine gets early morning sun and the colours are all over the place, but I'm hoping that will settle down as it matures.
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    A beautiful rose, not one I could grow in my location, it does have a reputation for being rather fussy and sun-shy. It is often grown as a climber against a north wall, since sun crisps the blooms. When considering a new place for it, location is key - a few hours of morning sun but protected from midday/afternoon sun like @Fire has it. I would also be much more generous space-wise, it’s really up close against those concrete steps so will struggle where it is. Needs good soil, feeding and cosseting. Best to not prune for the first couple years and easier to train it up against a wall or structure as it will need support. You can grow it as a large, arching shrub, supported with some canes or by gentle bending and pegging down the canes to encourage more blooms, but that’s quite a skill.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
    edited March 2021
    Yes. Not an easy rose; it may be a mistake for me. Bad black spot, in need of constant tlc - not one of your easier, modern, disease resistant types. Not very forgiving. Monty Don loves, it was Vita Sackville's West's fav rose at Sissinghurst and is good for north facing - which is why I went for it. But there are easier options.

I would agree that your rose is close to the steps and this might impede watering, feeding and root run. It will grow over the steps. The rose does need light but not strong sun.