Forum home Plants

Unknown climber

I was wondering if anyone recognises what type of climber this could be?  It seems to be quite invasive but we’re not sure if we should take it out or leave it in case it turns out to be nice.

• tui34tui34 Posts: 3,448
    edited March 2021
    It might be Asparagus Fern.  Does it have ferny feathery fronds?  If not, the dreaded,  feared mares tail!!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• There are no feathery fronds on it.  It is growing up the side of the house, with a height of about 3 meters.  Would the mares tail grow that high?
  • We initially thought it was growing up around this plant but we now think it is the same plant.
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 2,417
    Did it flower? Might it be jasminum nudiflorum?
  • clarke.bruntclarke.brunt Posts: 215
    edited March 2021
    I'm thinking Winter Jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum) too. I was a little thrown by stems apparently twining round each other in the photos - mine doesn't seem to do that, so maybe you've got a 'curly' variety. Here (near Cambridge) mine is just coming into leaf, and has a few yellow flowers. You can cut down as much as you like, and whenever you like, and it will grow back. Mine was cut to near the ground last year in preparation for painting the wall behind it - it's probably refreshed it, as there were a lot of dead stems. It can spread by rooting down wherever stems touch the ground.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,340
    edited March 2021
    Or jasminium beesianum. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Thanks very much!  We’re definitely going to leave it now and see if it does flower.