Forum home Plants

Pruning hardy fuchsias

Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,048
How early do you do it?

I've seen a lot saying after all risk of frost has passed or when there are signs of new growth.

Pretty sure I've seen someone on here mention doing it in February though.

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    I have just done mine. It's pretty tough.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,431
    I tend to wait until there's new growth starting, which is sometimes as early as February, but not this year. I don't wait until after all risk of frost, because that would be late May/early June and then they'd be very late coming into flower.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,102
    Normally once new growth appears it’s would be safe to prune back to the base. Leaving the top growth on could give the plant better frost protection. Personally, I would prune back once growth appears and give it a good 2 inches of mulch to protect from frost 
    I’ve had my Hardy fuschias in my garden over the last 10 years and never lost one due to heavy frost 
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,048
    JennyJ said:
    I tend to wait until there's new growth starting, which is sometimes as early as February, but not this year. I don't wait until after all risk of frost, because that would be late May/early June and then they'd be very late coming into flower.
    I did wonder as it is leaving things late for most of the country.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 970
    I  prune back to the base, use the prunings as pea sticks, its been done already.
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose Posts: 538
    Once I see new growth I consider pruning. I do watch the weather and make my decision based on that as last year it was mild so did it early but so far this year, I think it will be pruned much much later on