Forum home The potting shed

Dog thefts and cable ties

BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,621
I acknowledge the seriousness of the current spate of dog thefts but is there any truth in this connection between cable ties on lampposts and the thefts? There has been some discussion of this on our local nextdoor site and several posters are convinced that the ties are a sign that there lives nearby a dog worthy of stealing.

I don’t get it. If I am part of the dognapping gang, the lowly office junior, and it is my job to scour the streets looking for steal-worthy dogs when I see one what happens next? I put a cable tie on the lamppost, even though that is seven houses away. Then what? Do I phone my next in command to tell him where the tie is? But why don’t I just tell him where the dog lives without the need for the cable tie? Or maybe there are altruistic spotters out there just putting up ties for the benefit of the wider criminal fraternity who’ll see the marker and hang around for the next few hours (surreptitiously of course, don’t arouse suspicion) waiting to effect the theft.

What have I misunderstood? Or could these cable ties simply be remnants of the sign put up by the council two months ago advising that a neighbouring property owner had applied for planning permission?

I really think folk ought to be more critical of what is posted on social media and hold back on the ‘share’ button. Others are easily taken in and easily scared.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,460
    The amount of nonsense circulating on FB is depressing. My mum is particularly bad with those "Watch Out!" kind of posts. Razorblades in food left out for dogs, dogs dropping dead after being given an ice cube on a hot day, "don't share pictures of your dogs on social media, thieves are watching!" and so it goes on. 
  • I think these things are like Chinese whispers. I bet the tags are from old posters that people put up.theres so many of these stories and dog napping is in the news.around here I know a lot of dog walkers are really worried about it.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    There's been 4 cases of litters of pups being stolen over the last few days back here...it's just dreadful what's going on, kidnapping dogs!!!