Forum home Plants

Roses In Containers

TheNoviceGardenerTheNoviceGardener Norfolk. EnglandPosts: 11
I have just bought a rose from a well known rose grower. As no bare root roses were available in this variety I bought a container rose. I was advised no this cannot be planted in its final location until June as they had just potted the rose up. Is this absolutely necessary?

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,081
    It might have grown some fine roots which you could damage I suppose.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,555
    You may damage some finer  roots but don't worry, it will be fine. Plant it, water and mulch. 

Enjoy your new 🌹
  • I have just bought a rose from a well known rose grower. As no bare root roses were available in this variety I bought a container rose. I was advised no this cannot be planted in its final location until June as they had just potted the rose up. Is this absolutely necessary?
    Related to your question but I would like to keep mine in a container.  It's a standard rose, any tips on the depth of pot I would need? 
  • Mike AllenMike Allen Posts: 207
    Basically, although roses are tough.  They do need some time to settle in.  So your rose has just been potted-up.  Time is needed for the roots, including any new at the moment fibrous roots to settle and to take hold of the compost.  Yo will see the result of this when you do eventually plant the rose into the garden.  Otherwise.  When removing the rose from the container, you will end up with a bare root plant and a pile of compost.  Try and be patient.  Best wishes.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    If a seller like David Austin says the rose has just been potted and you should keep it there till August, I would follow their advice.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,449
    I bought a climbing rose that had been recently potted by the seller in late spring last year. I couldn't wait to plant it so I did. All the compost fell off and the roots were covered in fine new white roots, a lot of which broke off with the compost. The rose took some time to recover, it didn't really get going until the autumn, but it didn't die and is growing now.

The roses sold in pots in garden centres have been in the pots long enough for the fine roots to turn brown and stronger and they hold the compost together.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 690
    edited April 2021
    @WibblyWobblyWoo said:

Related to your question but I would like to keep mine in a container.  It's a standard rose, any tips on the depth of pot I would need? 
    Do you know what kind of rose it is, and is it a bare root or container rose you’ve bought? 

This website advises the following and has more tips on planting standard roses. Personally I would go for at least 45cm deep and wide, and make sure it is a heavy, stable pot that will not blow over in the wind when the rose is planted in — as a standard rose will be top heavy. Ultimately it will be best planted in the ground.

https://www.pyracantha.co.uk/how-to-plant-a-standard-rose-tree/

The size should be around 30-40cm wide and tall, depending on the variety and the size of the standard rose. There should be 6cm between the top of the container and the soil level, to accommodate watering. 

A standard rose will need staking; some advise a plastic coated metal stake rather than a wooden one which may rot and break, or a pressure-treated rounded wooden stake. The David Austin site has a video on planting and staking one (in the ground): https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/blogs/news/how-to-plant-a-potted-standard-rose

And there are more details on planting here: https://www.midwestgardentips.com/plant-a-tree-rose plus a handy diagram below

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,606
    My daughter has Desdemona growing as a standard in a half barrel. Lots of food and water and she does very well. 
  • Thank you for all that info Athelas.  Much appreciated.