Forum home Plants

Blind galanthus

paddympaddym Posts: 10
Lockdown Newbie here. Planted galanthus and irises bulbs in identical pots last autumn - six per pot. The irises have been gorgeous but only 3 of the galanthus produced stems and flowers. Wondered why... I observed the recommended depth and spacing. Thanks in advance 

• It can't be anything you did - the proto-flower is already there in the bulb ready to go by the autumn, and would emerge whatever spacing and depth (within reason!). So those bulbs must never have had a flower - maybe next year, if you intend keeping them - keep the foliage fed and watered until it dies down to put energy into the bulb next year's leaves and flowers. I wonder what proportion of snowdrop (Galanthus) typically flower - 6 doesn't seem very many for something with a tiny flower.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709
    edited March 2021
  • Mary370Mary370 Posts: 2,003
    @Silver surfer that's good to know, I planted some in Autumn, no flowers........at least in can look forward to them flowering next year
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709
    Please check out Eurobulbs.
    We have used them several times...always been delighted.
    Buy now, get snowdrops delivered in the green.
    Growing, with leaves on . 
    Plant as soon as they are delivered...weather permitting.
    Galanthus nivalis.....100 is less than £10.00.  1,000 ..£85.00

https://eurobulbs.co.uk/shop/all-bulbs-and-plants/featured/single-snowdrops-galanthus/
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • I thought after posting - "there's this thing about them not liking being planted in autumn from dry bulbs". It's not something I've ever tried, so can't comment. The info gets copied around, but does anyone know why it might be? If in the ground, do the bulbs have roots all year, or do they maybe start growing roots in summer, so keeping them dry until autumn is preventing their natural behaviour? Other bulbs e.g. Daffodils (Narcissus) are happy kept dry until autumn.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,415
    I planted dry snowdrop bulbs, 3 or 4 to a smallish pot, last autumn, and they all came up and are in flower (just beginning to go over after last week's mild and windy weather). They're just the common Galanthus nivalis, nothing fancy. Maybe I just got lucky.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • paddympaddym Posts: 10
    Thanks all for your comments, I feel more confident that I’ve not hexed them and that they’ll come
    up next year. Just planted some gladioli bulbs so I’ll probs be back here panicking about those next 😆
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,297
    @clarke;brunt. Galanthus (and Fritillaria meleagris) are what is known as 'naked bulbs' In other words they do not have a skin to protect them from drying out. Narcissus and Tulips do.  Galanthus bulbs evolved to deal with lack of light under deciduous trees in soil which remains damp. Narcissus, Tulips etc evolved to deal with Summer desiccation. Sometimes if you are lucky enough to buy the dried bulbs before they have really dried out, they will grow.