Forum home Plants

Has anyone cut their grasses or perennials back yet?

Wrigs21Wrigs21 Posts: 194
edited March 2021 in Plants
Hi guys 

First year in so just judging on when you should start chopping, not sure if I’m a touch too early or to get started this weekend? 

On a different tip. Anyone got any recommendations on what to mix with some new top soil (more grasses and perennials going in)

Thanks in advance :)

• B3B3 Posts: 27,315
    Me. I did it because the new shoots were coming through. Don't know if it the thing to do though.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,431
    I'm working through the perennials as time and weather permit. The bone-hardy stuff can be done any time from autumn to spring. Things that are a bit less hardy (eg penstemons, salvias) are best left a bit later unless in a very mild sheltered location.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • owd potterowd potter Posts: 968
    Cut my Miscanthus, Panicum & Stipa tenuissima last weekend.
    What you add to topsoil will depend much on what perennials you intend to grow, some like very fertile soil, some prefer lean soil.
    I work leaf mould into my grass border as I don't want to add to much nutrition, just condition my clay soil to improve drainage
    Just another day at the plant...
  • Wrigs21Wrigs21 Posts: 194
    Yeah mine are starting to shoot but wary about another frost. Might start this weekend and top tip on the Salvias. 
    Going for a mixed bag on the grasses and perennial front so guess I’m going to have to take my chances with the topsoil :)
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,689
    Yes. I did some in January (Molinia, which had all but collapsed anyway), and the rest last weekend. There comes a point when you want to turn the corner and make the little bulbs and primroses etc that are coming through the star of the show, rather than the standing skeletons.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,689
    (There is no need to mix anything with topsoil for grasses and perennials, IMO).
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • gjautosgjautos Posts: 427
    I have started to. Any plants that are showing signs of new growth from ground level, i am now pruning.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863
    I think this might be a job for the Under Gardener this year
    Devon.
  • Not yet but I'm really tempted to. Some new growth has appeared but I'd prefer to wait a little and leave the old foliage to provide some protection. This time three years ago we were in the grip of the Beast from the East so I don't want to get too complacent just because it's been fairly mild. It could all change very quickly! That being said, I have the week after next booked off of work to get stuck into it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed the weather will still be mild 🤞
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,460
    The grasses have all been done, but Gaura, Penstemon and the shrubby salvias won't be done until at least the beginning of April.