Forum home Fruit & veg

Sprouts are yummy

I grow sprouts year around: mung bean seeds, lentils, broccoli. So easy and yummy!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544
     I take it you either don’t live in UK or you have an enormous plot of land.

I have never heard of anyone growing lentils in this country.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,616
    Mung beans are just regular beansprouts, very easy on a windowsill in a jam jar or similar with a bit of muslin and an elastic band. I think you can sprout lentils indoors like mung beans, or perhaps like cress in a shallow tray of compost, as long as it's reasonably warm. I've done chick peas in the same way as mung beans.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,292
    edited March 2021
    A bit controversial for a first post😉
    I like them too.
    Welcome to the forum.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,215
    We regularly grow mung bean sprouts in jars in the kitchen ... got some on the go at the moment .... 

Stir fry on the menu for Friday 😋 

Not really what I’d call gardening ‘tho ... doesn’t involve going out in the open air in various weathers, fending off slugs. snails and vine weevils or pulling up weeds 🤣 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544
    Oh, I see. Silly me.  I thought it was a case of growing sprouts, mung beans, lentils and broccoli. Not sprouting mung beans, lentils and broccoli.  Or have I still got it wrong?🤔
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,215
    @pansyface think you’re on the right track 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MaryLeMaryLe Posts: 14
    Not so long ago I discovered the germination of seeds, I like to add them to my breakfast.
  • MaryLeMaryLe Posts: 14
    Thank you all for sharing your experience with sprouting! It’s important for me to receive your feedback.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,616
    Well I'm not sure I'd fancy them on my porridge or weetabix :s , but they're nice for a stir-fry, a salad or a sandwich.
  • StephenSouthwestStephenSouthwest Southwest EnglandPosts: 372
    Lime and Tequila fried chick pea sprouts - one of my favourite things. ..