Forum home The potting shed

The Beechgrove Garden

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 412
    I only got as far as Calum before OH demanded I turn it off, because he felt like he was in infants' school. Carol Kirkwood has the same effect. Maybe it's the Scottish accents
    I know what you mean. I can't watch Gardeners World any more. 
    It makes me feel ill listening to the presenters, it's as if they are talking to children.
    Maybe it's the English accents.
    Sunny Dundee
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,397
    I haven't seen this weeks episode of Beechgrove but last week Carol told Brian that his potatoes had blight because there was a brown spot on a leaf, I thought that was a bit of an overreaction what do you lot think?
    I only got as far as Calum before OH demanded I turn it off, because he felt like he was in infants' school. Carol Kirkwood has the same effect. Maybe it's the Scottish accents
    It makes me feel ill listening to the presenters, it's as if they are talking to children.
    Very good by the way!  :D
  • GreenjobGreenjob Scottish borders Posts: 45
    I like beech grove, some good tips and it’s current weather wise to us in the North. But I’ll pretty much watch anything on gardening. 
  • Greenjob said:
    I like beech grove, some good tips and it’s current weather wise to us in the North. But I’ll pretty much watch anything on gardening. 
    Same here really. Beechgrove is quite entertaining.. have to say though, the presenting is more wooden than a big woody thing..but it gives me a good laugh.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,444
     :D 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,353
    Fairygirl said:
    @barry island - a 'sheuch' just means a furrow or similar, so the hoe is suited to making or covering one  :)
    Shuck is something quite different....

gBraidman said:

Sheuch.

A ditch, esp one cut for drainage,  an open drain in edge of a field  almost like a tank trap.
    Asked one of the blokes in work who was from Northern Ireland, he said in some of the wetter areas they have them on all sides of the field, that is why they don't have the devastating floods on the land they have over here as the water is contained in the sheuch which have to overflow before it runs off.

They call that kind of ditch a dyke where I come from.  

Go on fairygirl whossa shuck? 😀
    Shuck is what you do to oysters @Cloggie...  
    In Scotland, it refers to a certain part of one's bahookie.... ;)
    You need to be careful how you use the word dyke now too  :D

I know shuck also has another meaning, but it's mainly an American/Canadian term as far as I know. It's someone conning you, or trying to get one over on you, or similar.
    It's in the lyrics of a Joni Mitchell song- #The Jungle Line, from Hissing of Summer Lawns - 'those cannibals of shuck and jive, they'll eat a working girl like her alive. ' That's the first time I'd heard it used - back in the mid 70s when that album came out.   :)

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,353
    Yep I'd shuck an oyster!
    In America I'd say Aw shucks! But not know where it originated.
    My Scots OH knows a bahookie as a bum but does nay ken what part of it is a shuck ha ha!!  Maybe regional or OH has been away too long?  
    In the fens, dykes are called drains and considerably larger than the ones of my youth (this sentence is as flat as it's intended with no saucy euphemisms!) 😕😃

Let's just say that, considering it's a term for a 'ditch' or 'furrow', there's one obvious part of the bum that fits the description ...
    A**e crack.  :)

Yes , I didn't add the usual 'aw shucks' term because I thought most people would know that anyway. I assume it originated in the States, but I don't know.  The shuck and jive term is probably less well known though. I certainly wouldn't know it if it wasn't for that lyric  :)

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,397
    Callum's day job? Calum is a great character very humorous and knowledgeable in keeping with the style of the early Beechgrove Garden shows of the 1980's but what is his day job? His physique looks like he does a lot of walking so maybe a postman but from what I have seen it looks as if his plot is situated next to a golf course so I think that he could be a greenskeeper. Does any one know what Callum does for a day job?