Forum home The potting shed

The Beechgrove Garden

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,464
    Scuse me for interjecting kinda, Kt53 I think when "The Urban Dictionary" says "The Man" it doesn't mean a person of the male persuasion but it means "The Man" as what Yanks call the government/big business/those with power, which is usually men but not exclusively so. Hope you don't mind me sayin like but I too first thought it was about men.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 6,414
    Obelixx said:
    Not to mention racing cars.  Fuel consumption to no good purpose.

If you think F1 cars are bad, I was watching a programme where they said that top fuel drag racing cars consume 7 gallons in 3.5 seconds!  Yes, seconds not minutes.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,555
    Never seen the point of racing cars or those monster truck demolition derby thingies.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,958
    Does your road car have disc brakes, fuel injection, engine management,  crash bars, crumple zones tubless tyres? All developed by racing.  Now hybrid technology,  and electric cars  are being developed at a much faster pace. F1 technology developed modified CPap devices for the covid crisis.  Just saying.
    AB Still learning

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,555
    Necessity is the mother of invention, not F1.  It took a sensible woman to give us windscreen wipers.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,539
    Meanwhile, at Beechgrove , tomorrow night's programme (or Sunday morning for those who watch/record it then).

" In this episode, Brian reviews the success of Beechgrove’s box-hedging alternatives, while he and Mairi also share some topiary tips.

Meanwhile, Calum Clunie continues to let us into the world of show growing as he explains his method for taking his dazzling dahlia cuttings in his Leven allotment.

And Beechgrove travels across the Atlantic to the Slate Islands to behold rare blue bamboo, while catching up with the Seil Community Garden, which Beechgrove helped create in 2009. "

I'll be interested in finding out how the box alternatives are progressing. 

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,464
    Calum is certainly entertaining and has a great way of presenting his methods what was that tool he used, a "shuck" did he say? Interesting to see how the alternatives to box hedging worked out and brilliant to see the Slate Island at least that's what I think it was called. The programme definitely needed the new blood.
  • I was lucky enough to be invited to a Space Shuttle launch - STS26 dubbed the "return to flight mission" you can still  see it on YouTube. Very emotional for Americans as it was the first one to go after the two year hiatus following the Challenger disaster. You might remember the so called reuseable spacecraft had a big red fuel tank (which blew up on Challenger) that used to hold 1.4 million pounds of liquid fuel - used in as designed burn of 480 seconds. There were also two big fireworks strapped to the thing with another 500,000 pounds of solid fuel that burnt in 124 seconds.  Rather puts Formula 1 in the shade in the pollution stakes.
    I will never forget that noise!  
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,539
    @barry island, l thought it might be some kind of hoe. I was interested in the box hedging results, l can't believe where the time has gone !
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,000
    @barry island - a 'sheuch' just means a furrow or similar, so the hoe is suited to making or covering one  :)
    Shuck is something quite different....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....