Forum home The potting shed

The Beechgrove Garden

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,962
    I did like the fact that they questioned how 'green' coir is when it has to be transported half way round the world.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,985
    Yes, in fact I enjoyed the programme.  I can see why they've recruited a group of amateur gardeners across Scotland, given the restrictions in Scotland and the inability to go out and do community gardens and garden fixes, but could do with a bit less of the champion potato and carrot grower.  

Other than that, good clear, even handed garden reporting and topics.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,296
    Just watched it and my goodness the obsession with potatoes year in and year out 🤣 some of us don't have the space or inclination to bother with growing something you can buy so cheaply.

Mairi was very good again and avoiding too much jargon and just being very clear about pruning hydrangeas. But yes overall a much more common touch kind of programme unlike GW that can feel very elitist quite frequently. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,557
    Just watched it and my goodness the obsession with potatoes year in and year out 🤣 some of us don't have the space or inclination to bother with growing something you can buy so cheaply.

I know what you mean,  but the taste of early home grown,  is vastly better than anything you can buy.  It's worth trying some first early spuds in a  pot or bag, if you're space is limited.  Even if you only get one special meal out of them. 
    AB Still learning

Fine if you really like potatoes but I can go weeks, even months, without and not miss them.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    The humble spud / tattie is about the only vegetable many Scots eat so how to grow them is extremely important.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,296
    Oh come on @KT53 next you'll tell us deep fried mars bars are a traditional speciality 🤣
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 413
    KT53 said:
    The humble spud / tattie is about the only vegetable many Scots eat so how to grow them is extremely important.
    Londoners must get fed up of eating jellied eels every day, and hearing the clinking from all those pearls on their jackets.
    Sunny Dundee
    Don't you just love it when a post gets a reaction like that :D
    Just for the record my mother was a Scot and we spent all our holidays up there.  My gran actually grew all manner of fruit and veg.  I did however work with somebody who had played sport at international level for Scotland who said the only veg they ate was potato, and that's what inspired my comment.
    It certainly used to be true that Scotland had the lowest veg consumption per capita in the UK.  That was a long time ago and I don't know the current situation.
    It is true that Scotland has one of the highest rates of morbidity from cardio vascular disease in Europe and the causes are a combination of poor diet, smoking and alcohol consumption.   The Scots are also renowned for not eating a lot of fruit and veg and preferring fast food, especially the poorer areas in towns and cities.

Given Scotland also has some of the best natural foods from the land of the sea it does seem perverse but things are improving and I suspect the myriad ways of growing tatties shown on Beechgrove may well encourage some to try other veg too.

I like the way Mairi is settling into her new role front of camera.