Forum home The potting shed

The Beechgrove Garden

• EmerionEmerion Posts: 382
    That is expensive @hatty123. I hope the price can brought down, because as with other choices in life, a lot of people can’t or won’t pay more. That’s not a judgement, it’s just human nature. It’s easy to say to yourself “me buying this one bag of peat compost won’t make much difference, so maybe I’ll change to peat-free next year if it’s cheaper”, and next year never comes. I’m planning to start with peat free, and save money by not being so profligate with it as I am with peat compost. I won’t throw old compost out without good reason, but pep it up each year with new home made or shop-bought compost. I’m hoping that as more people make the change, economies of scale will make it more affordable. 
    Carmarthenshire 
    If at first you don’t succeed, have some cake. 
  • hatty123hatty123 West YorkshirePosts: 106
    @Emerion I normally get new horizon peat-free and it works out about 12p per litre, a very small difference in price to peat based. Absolutely fine for general use around the garden. Also just bought a couple of tons of  local household waste compost for less than that per litre which I'm using to fill up some new beds. So I was annoyed last night when they only showed very expensive stuff, it will put people off going peat-free as they'll think that's the normal cost.
  • Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 486
    Another one I won't be keeping but still enjoyable nonetheless. The only segment that I skipped was the growing veg for the show bench - IMHO growing something you eat to be judged on appearance is absurd. Especially all the rigmarole he went through just for the perfect carrot...bizarre.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,475
    edited 23 April
    Regarding peat free compost, I got some Lidl peat-free last week and it's really good. Lovely texture. I'd heard good things but never managed to get any before. The only problem is that it seems to only be available in 20l bags, which of course increases the plastic usage (though the bags are recyclable, which is something I suppose).

And this morning I spotted that Aldi are selling peat-free cheaper than peat. Haven't ever tried it, but a lower price is encouraging.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,701
    They still sell bags of pure peat here and it's hard to tell which composts have no peat at all and which are produced by actual composting.   I buy one kind that's supposed to be for seeds and cuttings and assume it's composted matter rather than peat as it usually produces some interesting weeds including a whole rash of one of the weedier persicarias 2 years ago.  Not sterile by any means.

I also MPC to use as a soil conditioner when we need some before our own compost is "cooked".  Prices range from 25 to 35 cents a litre but we usually buy it during BOGOF offers so it's cheaper.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • EmerionEmerion Posts: 382
    Thanks @LG_, I’ve not been to Lidl or Aldi for over a year. I’ll try some compost from both I think and see how I get on.
    Carmarthenshire 
    If at first you don’t succeed, have some cake. 
    I usually use New Horizon and / or Miracle-Gro peat-free, @Emerion, both of which are pretty - Miracle-Gro better imo. But the Lidl one is the finest texture by far of any I've tried.  
    - Cicero
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,378
    Maybe we are lucky here then as 2-3  of the GC near me show clearly which have peat and which do not, and how much peat is in those that do contain it. Like many things you get what you pay for. If the environmental cost of peat was added to the price it would cost a lot more. I admit I am not totally innocent in this regard, the thought that it's already been dug up & will not be put back, along with the price makes it tempting. I had some new Horizon last year but was not happy with it at all full of lumps of wood & all sorts of other "bits". The two best (in my view) are not cheap. One based on sheep wool & bracken is a beautiful product,  and they claim it's slow release of nutrient will last up to 2 years so you can save on fertiliser.  I have no proof of this but for long term planting in a container it would seem a good idea.  It is not suitable for young seedlings though as it is too rich. They do lower nutrient ones  for seeds etc but few GC's seem to stock it and the bags are very small, so again using more plastic.The other good one is the one endorsed by RHS it is an excellent MPC but it is getting more popular so regularly sells out locally.  I believe B&Q now have peat free versions of their own brand at the same price as the peat version but I have not tried it. Haven't been to a B&Q in over a year.
    AB Still learning

I tried the B&Q peat free Verve last year (or maybe the year before) and it was awful. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad this year I suppose - but it put me off trying it again! I've had OK NH and really good NH. All depends on their supply I guess.
    - Cicero
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,883
    LG_ said:
    Regarding peat free compost, I got some Lidl peat-free last week and it's really good. Lovely texture. I'd heard good things but never managed to get any before. The only problem is that it seems to only be available in 20l bags, which of course increases the plastic usage (though the bags are recyclable, which is something I suppose).

And this morning I spotted that Aldi are selling peat-free cheaper than peat. Haven't ever tried it, but a lower price is encouraging.

I got some of that from Aldi about a month or 6 weeks ago. It's very woody, so I'm not using it for potting on small cuttings and seedlings, but maybe it varies from batch to batch. On the plus side, they're small-ish bags (40l) so fairly easy to lift.