Forum home Plants

Variegated Holly Tree - Yellow Leaves

welshcakewelshcake Posts: 117
I've got this holly tree in my garden.  It was in an area of garden that had been left to fester for years by the previous owner and then me to be honest, while I worked on house renovations.  It was completely intertwined with a beech tree that I've recently had cut down and also covered in ivy. 

It looked like there were lots of berries on it over the winter and some yellow leaves were visible but now I can see it properly, it looks like there's more yellow leaves than I first thought. 

I've done some reading but seeing mixed advice about what it might be so I thought I'd ask all of you lovely experts on here. Should I leave it as it is for now or do anything going into Spring or next Autumn?  

• welshcakewelshcake Posts: 117
    I should add as well that there are new shoots near the base of the tree but they look very yellow
  • Just seeing the title without the photos, I was expecting areas where, instead of green leaves with yellow variegation, there would be leaves with no green. Such areas wouldn't thrive, and could be cut off. Similarly with any areas that were solid green, which would grow faster and dominate the tree.

But it doesn't look like that at all. Just looks like 'pale' leaves. Have they been growing in deep shade e.g. while covered in beech tree or ivy? If so, they might sort themselves out now they've got proper light, or at least any future leaves should be normal.
  • welshcakewelshcake Posts: 117
    Just seeing the title without the photos, I was expecting areas where, instead of green leaves with yellow variegation, there would be leaves with no green. Such areas wouldn't thrive, and could be cut off. Similarly with any areas that were solid green, which would grow faster and dominate the tree.

But it doesn't look like that at all. Just looks like 'pale' leaves. Have they been growing in deep shade e.g. while covered in beech tree or ivy? If so, they might sort themselves out now they've got proper light, or at least any future leaves should be normal.
    Thanks very much for that advice.  Shade could definitely be an issue.  It’s fairly shady in that area anyway and the beech would have added to it.  Hopefully there will be some improvement now it’s got more light.  I’ll keep an eye on it.