Forum home Garden design

Borders

Hi,
I’ve got an east facing garden which is very long, in one area we have a path through 2 borders meaning one faces north and the other south. The north isn’t particularly shady but doesn’t get the amount of direct sunlight the south facing border does due to the fence. The very front of the north facing border is in the sun for most of the day. 
Can anyone suggest some plants that will do well in both borders? I’m planning on there being a difference due to the light levels but would like to tie them together in some way? Should I try some plants down the middle such as partial shade plants? 
Thanks for any help. 

• gardenman91gardenman91 BrightonPosts: 429
    Hi @r.bourke.8OoraZOVS could we have a picture of the border please? :smile:

Maybe you could have a border for sun loving plants and the other for plant that don’t mind shade? Best of both worlds :smile:
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    There are plants that don't mind sun or shade as well as grasses.
    You could tie things together with using the same colours on both sides or finding a plant which will be happy on both sides and repeat it along both borders for example a hardy geranium for ground cover you can put both sides or have a different one each side but the same colour either white or pink or blue.
    Clematis will often do well in any aspect on an obelisk or the fence.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,961
    edited March 2021
    I have a similar situation. The front edge of the n. facing border catches the sun in summer. Persicaria amplexicaulis does OK both sides (towards the front on the n. facing side), as does Geranium 'Anne Thompson'. Euphorbia characias would be OK both sides. Thalictrum delavayi would work too (I've had it on the n. facing side where just its top poked into the sun). I know just what you mean about wanting plants that bridge both sides.

It's a good opportunity to have shade tolerant stuff closer to the fence; the more sun loving plants tend to be bigger and flower later, which works in your favour.