Forum home Plants

Mystery Plant (Identification Plea, first-time poster)

Hello All, 

First-time post. City-living with a small garden for the first time in 15 years. Me and my partner moved in last year, going for a tropical theme and we planted some Musa.

We did also plant some hedychium but not in the place this photo was taken, though I’m curious as believe ginger can spread? Or maybe it’s something less exotic?

Could anybody identify what is sprouting around our banana plants, please? 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,875
    daffs?

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,924
    Look like daffodils or at least some type of narcissus to me too. 

Congratulations on your new home and garden 😊 
    i know daffodils aren’t in your tropical theme, but tropical style plants don’t really look at their best until around August onwards ... in the meantime some colour and perfume from spring bulbs is lovely... so enjoy your daffs 😎 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you Hostafan01  :)
  • Hostafan1 said:
    daffs?

Thank you  :)
  • Look like daffodils or at least some type of narcissus to me too. 

Congratulations on your new home and garden 😊 
    i know daffodils aren’t in your tropical theme, but tropical style plants don’t really look at their best until around August onwards ... in the meantime some colour and perfume from spring bulbs is lovely... so enjoy your daffs 😎 
    Thank you Dovefromabove. 

Daffodils are so relatively uncommon in our city, it’s a blessing and a pleasure to have some late-winter colour in our new garden :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,924
    😊 👍 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,875
    Don't forget host to add some GIANT hostas to your scheme.
    Jurassic Park, sum and substance, blue angel etc.
    Devon.
  • Hostafan1 said:
    Don't forget host to add some GIANT hostas to your scheme.
    Jurassic Park, sum and substance, blue angel etc.
    I love hostas! Growing up as a child we had lots in terracotta pots. However the snails often feasted on them. 

So beautiful though, are any varieties most robust than others?
  • I'm not 100% convinced these being daffodils. The way the leaves sort of curl towards each other as they come to a point at the top - my daffs don't do that. And some lower leaves looking like they are almost sheathing the inner ones - again not on my daffs. And mine are mainly in flower right now.

You could have a bit of a dig beside one to see what the leaves are attached to. A bulb if daffs, but I wonder if it's a rhizome (underground stem). No idea what though.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,714

Daffodils are so relatively uncommon in our city, it’s a blessing and a pleasure to have some late-winter colour in our new garden :)
    Where do you live willgarman?
    Suspect it cannot be UK as daffodils are very common here.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .