Forum home Plants

Monty's new book - worth a buy?

PlantyPruPlantyPru Posts: 142
Considering buying his new book The Complete Gardener for myself and my mum (for Mother's day), is it worth it? Has anyone got the older version? Do you find it useful?

• Watching with interest as also considering  B)
  • FireFire Posts: 18,963
    Cue endless Monty-bashing....
  • PlantyPruPlantyPru Posts: 142
    Fire said:
    Cue endless Monty-bashing....
    I hope that's not where this goes. People can have their opinions on a person but that's not what I'm asking for, I'd like opinions on the content in the older book that's all 
  • I've never bought any of his books...but let's see if anyone else has 😉
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    Never bought his or anyone else's but his first book seemed to get good reviews and I see Amazon have the new one at around £18 pre order price so it's not overly expensive and you could always return it if you don't want it.
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,402
    edited March 2021
    I’ve got the old one - its good as a “how to” reference book.  Used to use it a lot when I was first starting out, and still refer to it when I need to do something new.

its not like the other books of his (his diaries, the Jewel Garden, the Prickotty Bush etc) which can be read cover to cover as novels .....definitely more of a reference work 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy Posts: 6,741
    I haven't bought it, but it gets good reviews.  The other series of books that is widely regarded is How to be a gardener by Alan Titchmarsh.  
    AB Still learning

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    I have an older version of that exact book.  It's okay, pretty basic how-to.  Fine if you're new to gardening and don't know how to double dig or stake up your peas.  I read through most of it once and haven't looked at it in years.  Get one for your Mum, then borrow it after she is done.  
    I quite enjoy all of the ones I have by Bob Flowerdew.  He's so odd, but I enjoy his topics and writing more than Monty.  
    Utah, USA.
  • LG_LG_ Posts: 4,346
    I don't have the older book to compare, it's one of the few of his that I haven't read. It really depends what you want from it. I would agree - get it from your mum and then borrow it.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,511
    Yes I have the old version and find it very informative. Although full of useful advice and tips that I still refer back to, it is not a comprehensive ‘how to’ manual as such. It’s more the story of the development of his garden (or series of small gardens within a larger one) the challenges, mistakes and successes. This book, along with Bob Flowerdew’s Companion Gardening, are the two I refer to most. Different gardening authors offer different perspectives.

Certainly worth buying one copy, I’m tempted too.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.