Forum home The potting shed

Planting trees in small garden..

Hi - Looking for advice/suggestions for planting two trees in small garden.
House stands on a corner with lounge facing north on to a small garden.
We have well established trees that are fine for screening from street level however the two at the end died and are looking to replace.  Ideally the finished mature height should be 10ft to 12 feet. Never bought or planted trees before so a complete novice would be happy to purchase with rapid growth and not necessarily to small but also being price conscious.
Have been recommended dwarf Silver Birch, Rowan and Apple Tree.
Also where should I purchase as there are many on line sites to choose from.
Would appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance.

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 926
    Firstly I’d want to know why the two at the end died.
    Was it because of poor drainage, soil, lack of light, or something else?
    You wouldn’t want your new trees succumbing to the same fate.

You don’t mention what the area you want to plant them in is like, which would be useful.

• Thanks for reply.
    The trees that had died were about 40 yrs old and have been reliably informed they were diseased. The other trees near to them are very healthy so i think it was just their time.
    Pity as they were lovely when they blossomed and gave us the screening we require.
    We plan to plant the new ones virtually in the same position not were the existing ones came out from but very near. The soil is of good drainage fine with plenty sunlight both morning and afternoon.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    I've always used https://www.mailordertrees.co.uk/ they have always arrived well wrapped and in good condition.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,153
    12ft (3 meters) is quite small for a mature tree -I was going to suggest one of the Himalayan birches for its stunning white bark and quite open canopy, but it would get much taller than that.

How about a crab apple (nice blossom and decorative apples in autumn) or an amelanchier (nice blossom and stunning autumn leaves) or one of the rowans (nice autumn berries).
    The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,153
    Just checked those suggestions of mine out and they will all get to 4-8 meters too 😱

what was there before?
    The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • As per some of the other posters above - I like to know what your departed trees died from - if no one knows, what kind of tree were they- you said that they flowered? Photo perhaps.
    On spec, a small tree that flowers - how about a Magnolia Stellata which has feathery smallish blooms rather than the big mug sized tulips of M.Soulangeana - M. Stellata "Leonard Messell"  has pink delicately scented blooms - both types will top out at 3/4Mtrs.    What's more - Magnolia can live with Phytophthora pathogen which is doing for many trees these days.