Forum home Plants

Help to identify plant please

• SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,723
    It looks like coltsfoot Tussilago farfara to me.

• Agreed - Coltsfoot. Came up - origin unknown - beside my pond. A bit of a weed maybe, but gets these flowers at this time of year, followed by rather large vigorous leaves arising from rhizomes (stems) just under the surface. At least I can mow off some leaves, and pull up some rhizomes if it's getting out of hand.
  • Thank you both. Much appreciated. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,881
    I love to see coltsfoot ... one of the first flowers of spring ... good for early bumblebees.  It’s name comes from the shape of the leaves which follow the flowers but die away by early summer. 
    It’s Latin name comes from its traditional use as a cough medicine (not recommended nowadays). 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,295
    Hi @Allotmentpixie ,
    Please leave it for the time being ..... it's a great source of early pollen for bees image

Bee x
    Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
  • Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,295
    Beat me to it @Dovefromabove blush 
    Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,881
    Great minds @Bee witched 🐝 🕊 😉 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.