Forum home Plants

Hard Wood Rose Cuttings - What now?

Hi all,
Hope you are able to help me... I took some hard wood cuttings from a neighbour's rose in the autumn and quite frankly shoved them in a pot of compost and left them outside over winter. Several have survived and have now got a several new leaves on them. What do I do now? Do I pot them on individually and see what happens? Is it too early? Would I put them in the ground? I haven't lifted them out the pot to see what is happening underneath as I didn't want to do the wrong thing :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

TIA,
Rebecca xx 
Dolce far niente....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    It's best to leave them in the original pot for a year, otherwise any young roots can easily be broken off if disturbed.  I've also found that quite a lot of rose cuttings will produce leaves in the spring but no roots grow and then they soon die, so be prepared for that possibility.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • It's best to leave them in the original pot for a year, otherwise any young roots can easily be broken off if disturbed.  I've also found that quite a lot of rose cuttings will produce leaves in the spring but no roots grow and then they soon die, so be prepared for that possibility.
    Thank you so much. I will make sure I leave them be then and if they look ok next year do something with them then. Much appreciated :) 
    Dolce far niente....