Forum home Wildlife gardening

Ponds.

This is a pond I put in about 18 months ago.  Two weeks ago, I noticed that the water level was going down, so removed the plants and bought a new liner, as it clearly had a puncture. Underneath were loads of mares tail, which I'm digging out and salting the area before rebuilding the pond. What I would like to know is, can this pesky plant actually puncture a pond lining, or is it more likely to have been caused by something else? Thanks, Paul.

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    Why are you salting the area? Do you want to kill off the ecological system in the soil, it certainly won't kill the marestail.
    It will puncture through tarmac and concrete and landscape fabric not sure about your pond liner though.
    Did you put an underlay underneath, old carpet or similar, if not it's possible it got punctured by a stone.
    The marestail will just root it's way under the pond and head for the light it's almost impossible to get rid of it as. There are a few threads on here about it.
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/comment/2198903#Comment_2198903 is just one
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,127
    Is it a proper pond liner? i.e the really thick stuff, because for me marestail comes up through silage plastic. Perhaps try a solid form instead of a liner.
  • makhnoboymakhnoboy Posts: 4
    Yes, it's a proper pond liner, and yes, I did put underlay down. As for using salt; it WON'T kill the soil ecology, because it's both biodegradable, and easily flushed out. Also, it WILL kill marestail, as I've seen it successfully used on the site. It will also only be applied to the area underneath where the new liner will be going. I'm thinking of putting paving stones down, but am worried about the new and bigger one I built recently, getting punctured by the stuff (marestail). I can't find an answer online, so will just have to keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for answering.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,160
    makhnoboy said:
     As for using salt; it WON'T kill the soil ecology, because it's both biodegradable, and easily flushed out. Also, it WILL kill marestail, 
    You seem to know it all already. No need to ask us then?
    Devon.
    edited 1 March
    I was asking about marestail puncturing (or not) a pond lining! Learn to read the full comment.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,160
    edited 1 March
    makhnoboy said:
    I was asking about marestail puncturing (or not) a pond lining! Learn to read the full comment.
    The very personification of charm. 

You say salt is going to kill it. Once it's dead , it won't puncture anything surely?
    Devon.
    You've surpassed yourself! 'but am worried about the new and bigger one I built recently, getting punctured by the stuff (marestail)'. Capish? Oi vey!
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
     If you had given the whole information in your first post, you've used salt before, yes it's a proper liner, yes I've used underlay then perhaps our questions wouldnt have irritated you so much.
    There is certainly no call for such unpleasantness.
    I would certainly like to apologise to @Hostafan1 if i contributed to such a nasty comment from the poster