Forum home Fruit & veg

What patio apple tree please

Hi everyone, could one of you lovely people recommend a good patio apple tree please,
pone that would be good for children to grow 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,884
    One that they will enjoy eating?

What do they prefer, fresh or cooked? Red or green? Large or small? Sour or sweet?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Kaline538Kaline538 Posts: 22
    Yes to eat fresh,,,, not fust on colour,small is good but again not to fust 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,884
    If it’s going to be growing in a pot, the most important things to consider are

1.  Rootstock.  Buy a tree that has been grafted onto M27 rootstock. Then the tree will not outgrow its pot or its surroundings.

2. A large pot. Plastic is best. 50 cm diameter by 50 cm height are good. Set on pot feet or bricks to ensure good drainage.

3.   Growing medium. John Innes No3 will keep the plant firm in its pot, keep the plant moist and need less in the way of maintenance than other composts.

4.  A stake. All fruit trees grown on dwarfing rootstock need staking for life.

5.  Watering.  A plant in a pot does not receive as much water as a plant in the ground.  Be prepared to water the pot as often as daily in prolonged spells of warm or dry weather.

6. Supplier. With a bit of luck you will have your tree for forty or fifty years or more. Don’t be tempted to buy from a cheap and cheerful bargain basement offer. Go to a reputable supplier. You won’t  regret the initial outlay in the long run.

Finally the variety.  One that is sold as self fertile would be best, but semi self fertile is almost as good. 

Why not try Fiesta.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,671
    Nearly all apples do best when they have a pollinator to increase fertilisation and apple production so yes, absolutely, use a reputable supplier who can advise you.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • rosehenderson90rosehenderson90 Scotland Posts: 60
    edited 1 March
    I just planted an Ellisons Orange in a container after doing some reseach, as I live in Scotland and our garden is a bit windy, and it seems to be ok for those conditions. It's partially self-pollinating, so should produce some apples without another tree. Yet to see how it does! 

I found some websites really helpful with lots of descriptions. 
  • Kaline538Kaline538 Posts: 22
    Hello again,,, I got my tree👍I got a fiesta mini tree I put it in a 50lt pot of j I no3 as said so hopefully all is well, it’s 4ft now so nice size for me ..........