Forum home The potting shed

DON'T DO IT!😩

• gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 285
    B3 said:
    Pogo sticks and bulb planting. A match made in heaven!
    😂😂
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,189
    Lunaria? An evil weed really? :o
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,949
    I'm quite fond of Lunaria, and red valerian  (and the white form). They're both easy to pull out if they appear where I don't want them. Same with that other prolific self-seeder, forget-me-nots.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,981
    I like valerian. Have all three colours. Never heard of lunaria. Googled it. The only thing is have against it is that it has the look of EBM.
    Forget me nots, I could probably do without but ,as was said, they're easy to pull out. Ditto nigella 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,189
    Lunera is honesty. Valerian rubra I like. Valerian offic. is a PITA.
    I started with white. Then pink arrived. Waited a few years further for red  to arrive. Have nurtured it  and its spreading , much to my delight. All are easy to pull out. My favourite shade of red. There's a cosmos that's that colour too. Not over keen on the pink.
    I'm to pessimistic for biennials like honesty. A lot can happen in two years🙁
  • MayLaneMayLane Posts: 203
    I seemed to have planted so many self seeders. Honesty, Forget me Nots, Valerian, Borage. Forever pulling up borage and honesty from places it isn't wanted, but I dont mind as it doesnt take long. I can see how they could be a nuisance. 

I'm worried about the euphorbia and sulphur heart ivy.

But my 5 year old garden now has too many plants and shrubs and I need to thin out. Also looks non cohesive. I was too eager and wished I had planned it more rather than buying and sticking it with little thought. 
    I leaned mine over a bench the other day. I tripped over it three times before I finally have up and moved it . They're malicious things🙁
    @MayLane , it's always the way when you start out. You plant the stuff that's easier to grow and will spread and seed to fill the space. As you've found, a few years down the line, you want the space rather than the fillers.
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 3,572
    edited March 2021
    I must be doing something wrong then.....my forgetmenots have disappeared.  Rampant spreader? Nope, not here.😳....nor are bluebells or snowdrops😥