Forum home The potting shed

DON'T DO IT!😩

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,164
    Mum has got Spanish Bluebells, hyacinths and various other rampant bulbs in her rockery, which make hoeing the area almost impossible in Spring. So it's also infested with weeds.

She also has that orange montbretia, Crocosmia indestrucabilis horridus.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,164
    I guess another DON'T is don't have a rockery... unless you are prepared to weed it religiously. When weeds get the top side of you in a rockery, you have a definite problem.
  • JemulaJemula Posts: 134
    I do so agree regarding Spanish bluebells.   They are the only plant coming up all over my new small back garden which had been grassed over and are also pushing through the gravel at the front!
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,543
    I am very late to this thread so apologies if this has already been said. 
    DON'T PLANT MUSCARI (grape hyacinths). We "inherited " them in our front garden,  I have spent far too much time in the past 20 years trying to reduce them to  a manageable level . We gave up trying to get rid of them long ago. ☹
    AB Still learning

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,956
    Lizzie27 said:
    Oh dear @floralies, that sounds  painful. How many more of us will have gardening related injuries?

Lots I suspect.  Don't cut hose pipe with a very sharp folding knife.  It will stick to the hose and then fold round your finger.  It doesn't start to bleed properly until you unfold the knife, then it really gets going!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,191
    Don't prune a huge ivy hedge without gloves on if it's full of sharp wire. You might nearly slice your finger and bleed all over the carpet and up the stairs. Know your hedge, take it gently. Or keep a first aid box by the fridge.