Forum home The potting shed

DON'T DO IT!😩

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,179
    edited March 2021
    *DON'T*

Plant Spanish bluebells in ANY garden - or English bluebells in any garden unless you have LOADS of space under trees!
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    Empty last year's tomato waste into the compost without checking for any escaped tomatoes.  Next year's bean patch will be a sea of baby tomato plants.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,360
    Plant Spanish bluebells in ANY garden - or English bluebells in any garden unless you have LOADS of space under trees! 

A fellow traveller there, I see. 

I have spent the last three days unsuccessfully digging out, yet again, the Spanish bluebells that I inherited here twelve years ago.  Their bulbs are buried in Hades.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,959
    pansyface said:

A fellow traveller there, I see. 

I have spent the last three days unsuccessfully digging out, yet again, the Spanish bluebells that I inherited here twelve years ago.  Their bulbs are buried in Hades.

Same here, only it's 30-odd years. For the first several years I didn't know any better and let them be :#
  • B3B3 Posts: 20,048
    I use the slice off the leaves and forget about them til next year method.
    I've never been to Australia, but I suspect there may be bluebell roots dangling out of the sky in some parts🤔
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,256
    edited March 2021
    Avoid valerian officianalis as well as well as Spanish bluebells, unless you want your house to disappear under a tidal wave of seedlings. If happy, they look lovely for a few months then lead an insurrection. I would avoid long reach octopus Vincas too. I'm still digging them out nine years down the line. (I didn't plant them).
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,256
    People on the forum argue about that @Forester_Pete - but I would agree. I wouldn't go near the stuff.

In short, stick to house plants. Lol. :D
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,504
    I successfully removed spanish bluebells and the English ones are very well behaved in my garden.  However,
    Jap Anemones are the devils work and as for Acanthus Mollis
    Don't accept a  sack of beautiful blue slate from your best friend without checking for creeping wood sorrel.  You will regret it.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands