Forum home The potting shed

DON'T DO IT!😩

• K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    edited May 2021
    It's been said before but worth repeating.

Don't divide and replant or move your perennials without a note, photo or a label to mark where you put them and what they were, especially when they die, one dead stem looks very like another.

• didywdidyw Posts: 2,733
    Don't, in a panic, wonder what happened to the martagon lilies Monty said should be planted now, envisage rummage in the outhouse and wonder if they were accidently thrown out with all the packaging from stuff and then realise - they were planted a week ago and actually have a marker stick just as Monty recommended.
  • FireFire Posts: 17,116
    Marker sticks for new planting are great, esp for remembering where to water. I should have done this years ago.
  • hatty123hatty123 Posts: 125
    Don't presume that because you've never seen any real damage to your plants from the wildlife, that they're not waiting in the shadows to pounce when something yummy comes along!
    Bought 6 cauliflower seedlings at the nursery yesterday and planted out in the new bed. They looked fine when I looked out this morning, but just been to check and all the new growth has been nibbled down to the veins! Seed leaves left alone so obviously whatever it was is a picky eater 🤔 I don't mind providing the wildlife with an easy meal but they got all 6 of them. Every. Single. One. 😖 Got a cloche over them now to see if they'll still grow new leaves.
  • B3B3 Posts: 24,453
    Slugs don't share.😡
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire Posts: 17,116
    .... don't think that just you have planted out good, big, healthy plants that you won't have to them back in their pots a week later, having had their leaves and stems decimated.

Mental note to self - wait until the new plants are twice as a big as you think they need to be, before planting in the ground.
  • herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,314
    Don't poke every little bit of any plant in a pot - they grow!

Eldest daughter trained as a florist (now a school secretary and does flower arrangements for the school - it's a bit posh) left all her carnation trimmings on my garden table beginning of last year and I ended up with 7 plants.

Trimmed them back last autumn and now I have nearly 2 dozen eeek 
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • seacrowsseacrows Posts: 221
    The seed packet may say sow by 2014, but do not assume this means 90% of the seeds will be dead. I swear every single one sprouted. I don't like tomatoes that much.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,715
    seacrows said:
    The seed packet may say sow by 2014, but do not assume this means 90% of the seeds will be dead. I swear every single one sprouted. I don't like tomatoes that much.
    tomato seeds can pass the human digestive system, and sewage treatment and still germinate on river banks
    Devon.
  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    Dont forget to check up the sleeves for paper hankies before you wash a load of dark coloured washing especially when you don't have a tumble dryer.