Forum home The potting shed

DON'T DO IT!😩

• gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 285
    B3 said:
    Interesting mystery seedlings are rarely something you would like In your garden  - but sometimes they are..

Ground cover plants cover ground everywhere - not just the bare, infertile patches. They really like cultivated ground best .

20 plants for a tenner are 20 plants no one wants.

If you buy a tray of bedding plants, pick a tray with only one in flower so that you know the colour.

Don't pay full price in a garden centre for a plant with moss or seeds on the soil surface. It's been unsold and unloved  for some time.

Most lawn weeds are prettier than grass.

Don't grow vegetables that you only like a bit. You will hate them by the end of the year.
    20 plants for a tenner. Hmm I've fallen for that one more than once!
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,310
    Don’t put fertiliser pellets in your water lily tubs on February 27th no matter how sunny it is. My God it was cold.

Don’t believe old wives were good gardeners. Some of the received wisdom has doubtful validity.

My Mum was from the ‘nice splash of colour’ School of Gardening. Don’t follow her lead.
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 538
    Dont sow seeds (tiny little seeds) in seed trays, outdoors on a windy day. 

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,612
    Don't try and walk up a narrow garden path backwards pulling a wheelbarrow, you do not have eyes in the back of your head -result fell in a rose bush and cut my leg and had seven stitches.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 8,570
    Oh dear @floralies, that sounds  painful. How many more of us will have gardening related injuries?
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,258
    Don't buy tonnes of tiny plug plants if you don't have space to pot on tonnes of tiny plug plants. They may look amazing, your heart my leap, but no. Just don't do it. Resist.
  • Cambridgerose12Cambridgerose12 Posts: 981
    edited March 2021
    Ergates said:
    I was given the advice to just observe a new garden for the first year, to see what comes up. In our case, Jurassic Park and Triffids! We’ve been fighting to regain control ever since!
    ...Open it to the public?
  • nicktennickten Posts: 118
    Plant it if you like it.