Forum home Plants

Pruning Sedges

I planted some sedges end of 2019 and they all looked fabulous last summer but of course winter made most of them look manky. I looked up the pruning instructions this weekend (a little late in the day I know) and it turns out that they should be combed for dead leaves during the summer 😬 I did have a crack at it yesterday but didn't have a whole heap of luck. Would hard pruning them all do them any harm?

The ones that need sorting out are, Carex Silver Sceptre, Carex Frosted Curls, Carex Bronze Curls and Ucinia Rubra.

• You don't want to hard prune these--they will die. Best wait until the suggested time. They are basically evergreen. You could trim off any dead tips though without injury. 

Experience suggests they have good and bad years, but are much less likely to have extensive die-off if they are well watered and not in too much sun. I've struggled with Uncinia rubra myself, and haven't tried the 'curls' ones, but other Carex have done well. Providing I remember to remove the dead leaves in about August or September, they look fine during the winter.
  • I had a horrible feeling someone would say that 😆 Carex Ice Dance is still looking glorious with only a handful of dead leaves but the others are a bit meh. Not always easy to tell what's going on with Ucinia Rubra although I do half regret getting it because of those seeds. I had to pick so many out of my clothes and hair last year 😆
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,019
    Beware if Ice Dance.  Once it decides it's happy it makes a world takeover bid.

Rather than combing the others with your fingers, use a garden rake instead.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Obelixx said:
    Beware if Ice Dance.  Once it decides it's happy it makes a world takeover bid.

Rather than combing the others with your fingers, use a garden rake instead.
    Ice Dance is in a raised bed at present, although it may be going into a planter in a couple of weeks. I have noticed it's sent up some babies which I'm considering potting up. I do have a hand rake somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.