Forum home Plants

I think I’ve pruned my acer too hard ☹️

emilou_9emilou_9 SheffieldPosts: 5
Hello all! My first time posting. I pruned my acer late last November 2020 but I think I may have taken too much off. I was a bit lopper-happy and I took every branch off that had leaves and then a little more leaving just the thicker branches. Pictures attached of what it looks like right now (28.2.21) Please tell me it will be okay 😔

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,153
    I’m afriad acers really don’t take too kindly to pruning ☹️.  However, if you did it in November (when the sap is not rising) then you might be in with a chance 🤞🏻.  I wouldn’t expect to see any signs of new growth til April or May though, so you have a little longer to keep those fingers crossed 😀 
    The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • emilou_9emilou_9 SheffieldPosts: 5
    chicky said:
    I’m afriad acers really don’t take too kindly to pruning ☹️.  However, if you did it in November (when the sap is not rising) then you might be in with a chance 🤞🏻.  I wouldn’t expect to see any signs of new growth til April or May though, so you have a little longer to keep those fingers crossed 😀 
     I will keep everything crossed! Thank you ☺️
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    There are a lot of videos about pruning or shaping Acers on YouTube. As an example here's a link

• PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 538
    Hello

When I first began gardening, i did exactly the same to my Acer in the Autumn. I just thought you could cut everything back and it would come back the following spring.

I have since learned a few lessons 😂😂 

Anyway, after a couple of experienced gardeners had told me I had killed off my Acer, late spring the following year it started showing signs of life and came back more beautifully than it had been before it got chopped.

Hopefully you cut it at the right time and it does come back for you.
    Hello

When I first began gardening, i did exactly the same to my Acer in the Autumn. I just thought you could cut everything back and it would come back the following spring.

I have since learned a few lessons 😂😂 

Anyway, after a couple of experienced gardeners had told me I had killed off my Acer, late spring the following year it started showing signs of life and came back more beautifully than it had been before it got chopped.

Hopefully you cut it at the right time and it does come back for you.
    Thank you so much this has made me feel a whole lot better, I have done nothing but worry about it! So did yours come back the following spring or the spring after? I am really keeping everything crossed! 🤞🏻 
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 538
    edited February 2021
    It was the spring after I chopped it.

Fingers crossed for you that yours comes back. Please let us know 

Yes I will let you know! Thank you for your help I will sleep much better 😆

Yes I will let you know! Thank you for your help I will sleep much better 😆