Forum home Garden design

Creating a seating area in the shade

Hi I would like to create a relaxing seating are at the end of my garden. It is quite shady and over hung by trees so not much grows. I was thinking of decking or patriot and wanted some guidance on what would work best. Something low maintenance as well. The size would be around 20 sq metres 

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149
    Best to avoid decking if the area is in shade as it can get very slimy after a while, even in a sunny area.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544
    No idea what patriot is but any wooden decking in shade will need to be high quality wood to resist rotting from the damp and would need bedding on a very strong structure too or that will rot.

You'd be better off using gravel or shingle or maybe large gauge chipped bark held in with a stone, concrete or sleeper edging or else some paving with wide enough gaps filled with shingle to let rain water seep in and get to the tree roots.  There's also that concrete grid stuff for parking in grass that you could lay and fill with shingle.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,006
    Patio probably😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Yes, but not solid or the trees will get thirsty.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    Obelixx said:
    Yes, but not solid or the trees will get thirsty.
    I think @B3 is suggesting the OP meant patio, not patriot. Agree patio could also be slippery in winter. 
    Oh.  OK.  Makes sense but yes, would get slippery in winter too and probably need pressure washing every spring. 
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    I personally prefer seating in shade over one in sun (that's why I have a pergola over our sunny corner).
    Paving is the best option or paving combined with gravel. A lot of greenery around, like ferns and woodland plants. It could be a beautiful relaxing spot.
    Use google images or Pinterest for inspiration. I remember seeing many beautiful shady patios - either modern courtyard gardens or private and calming woodland hideouts.
    If it is secondary seating, it could be just a bench or an arbour or a love seat.