Forum home Plants

Can someone name this weed please?

These plants have been popping up mainly in shadey areas but despite searching online , I cannot find out what they are.If anyone knows, I would be most grateful. Thanks.


  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    Reminds me of a plant called lords and ladies.
  • herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,314
    edited February 2021
    Me too also known as Cuckoo Pint - Arum maculatum or some such
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,104
    The plant with the most common English names of all. Arum maculatum.
  • That's great.Thankyou all very much.
  • Arum maculatum, a plant with many common names.  It produces a spike of red berries after the unusual flower and if you don't remove those before they are ripe, birds and other creatures will spread them about.  When you pull them up like that, they leave a small knobbly, soil-coloured corm underground and it is easy to miss those if you try and dig them out.

    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
Sign In or Register to comment.