Forum home Wildlife gardening

Nesting material

2»

• B3B3 Posts: 21,415
    No pets now and no sheep in this part of London anyway😊
    Recycled materials seems to be the way to go. Anything that would otherwise end up in the black bin would be good
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,489
    Not just the birds. I’ve been watching the squirrels collecting bundles of dry leaves, and collecting huge mouthfuls of moss from the lawn. I couldn’t work out who had disturbed the black weed membrane from round the trees on the front lawn, until I saw a squirrel trying really hard to remove it. He/she gave up in the end, but I’m sure if a piece had been torn off, it would have been taken straight up the tree to their nest.
  • Mark-EMark-E Pontypridd, WalesPosts: 173
    We hang out our dogs fur which the birds seem to enjoy. Guess it keeps the nest nice and warm.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,908
    It's fun to see pictures of birds that have collected bit of coloured wool / felt and made their nests from that. I have left sheep wool fleece out and cut up bits of knitting wool.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,049
    I'm surprised that birds would go for cat fur. I thought the smell of cat would put them off, being a predator. Or maybe birds have no sense of smell? OH regularly grooms what seems like binfuls of hair from our elderly indoor cat so maybe I'll put some of it outside and see if the birds like it.
  • My own beard & (occasional) hair trimmings are placed in a coarse fruit mesh & hung in shrubs near the back door entrance. Blue tits & sparrows seem to be the main 'customers' for this largesse. They return for more linings when they are prepping for 2nd and even 3rd broods during the year. For 'reinforcing, the sparrows seem keen on the dried-up hulm off potatoes, or the 'vines' from last season's runner beans. *We try to garden 'none-too-tidily' & it seems to offer several dividends - besides the crops!!