Forum home Plants

Sweet peas

srdsrd Posts: 34
my first ever attempt. 
Grew from seed oct in makeshift greenhouse. I’m in the NE. So temps are cooler. Have pinched out too. I planted in paper drinking cups for root length.
when would be advisable to plant out ( 2 days of sun and it feels like spring) thanks

• They can't go out until after the last frost, I don't put mine out till May.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,008
    edited February 2021
    Sweet peas are hardy and will cope very well thru winter if sheltered from the worst of it in a cold frame or cool greenhouse.  I would harden yours off by putting them outside by day and in again at night for a couple of weeks  and then, if there isn't snow, heavy frost or a beast for the east, plant them out but be prepared to protect with fleece if nasty weather does return.

When you do plant them out make sure they have good, rich soil and that you keep them watered in dry spells but not drowning.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popular/lathyrus/growing-guide 
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • SuesynSuesyn Posts: 660
    I plant sweet peas in October and leave them outside next to the garage wall. I have pinched the tops out and they are about 15cm tall. I have never covered them up, watered or fed them and they seem to do OK. In fact we were in Australia and missed The Beast From the East but the sweet pea seedlings survived with no help.
    I do feed and water them once they are planted out.
    I have tried sowing seeds in spring as well but my attempt at prolonging the flowering season didn't seem to work. 
  • Totally agree with @Obelixx ... harden your plants off by putting them outside during the day and bring them in at nights for about ten days, then plant them out.

Sweet peas are hardy and can cope with winter weather as long as they’re not ‘soft’ by having been raised indoors. 

😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I have yet to have any luck with winter sown sweetpeas. They go in the cold greenhouse and sulk all winter, then when they go outside (usually April when I need the greenhouse) they sit there. Sown inside ones overtake them and have produced more flowers to date. Maybe they don't like our damp and fluctuating temperatures in Lincolnshire. 🤔
  • peteSpeteS Posts: 964
    Can you still sow the seeds now, or is it too late. If so, what are the sowing needs...will bio degradable long rooters on a window sill be OK. 
  • I am going to plant mine in the next week @peteS in long rooters and they will spend till May growing in my conservatory,  but will need potting on at least once in that time. I do this every year.
  • Sowing now is fine ... not too late by any means. And yes those ‘long rooters’ will be fine on a bright windowsill. 👍 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.