Forum home Plants

Is it the right time to add new compost?

KCMM09KCMM09 Posts: 74
My sleepers have visibly shrunk a tad and I remember last year reading to add new compost to your plants and wondered if now was a good time to start doing this ? Adding to the top layer underneath my mulch? 

Do you also till your soil? I’ve read lots of arguments for and against ! 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,004
    Before planting new stuff, fruit, vegetable, salad or ornamentals, I always go over with a push-me-pull-you hoe to loosen up the top level of soil as I find it gets compacted by winter rains.  I then use my hands or a small fork to pull any perennial weeds with their roots. 

However, we're also trying to move to the No Dig method where you just add new organic matter every year and plant thru that without hoeing.   

Either way, there's always some well-rotted garden compost/manure or spent planting compost that gets added before planting and maybe some pelleted chicken manure or BF&B.  The idea is to feed the soil and its organisms to improve fertility and thus plant health.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,778
    I weed, then add compost, now is a good time.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.