Forum home Problem solving

Cyclamen misery

2»

• clarke.bruntclarke.brunt Posts: 215
    edited February 2021
    @Catherine-25 wonders about removing the leaves. I should have thought of that (and somehow hadn't seen all the posts when I sent mine)! It's got to have an effect, though I don't know how long it would take - I guess the plant has reserves in its corm. At least it's easy to do, unless it's a large area. Get them as soon as possible, before they have chance to feed the corm.

In case anyone else wonders: the 'bulbils' are young seedlings, and the 'little spirals' are the flower stems (with seed pod on the end) which coil up - remove before the seed pod opens if you don't want volunteer seedlings (as the ants will very quickly take the seed away), or to collect the seed, harvest as soon as there's the smallest opening.
  • Thanks, Clark.Brunt.   Fingers crossed & snips at the ready!
  • Update!  I pulled off the leaves ( often bringing up the tiny corms) as best I could, and now that the new crop has come up I do think there are fewer cyclamen.   OK, the ants have got clever and moved them into other borders, but thus far not into such densely planted ones.     Thanks for your input, interest and so on.  
    Btw will happily post bulbils by the thousand to Ireland!!