Forum home Plants

Support for a clematis

BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,666
I want to grow clematis Sea Breeze up a 6’ high, 30’ long stone wall. The RHS says this clematis has an ultimate height of 2.5 - 4.0 metres and a width of 1.0 - 1.5 metres. Given these dimensions, is the plant a suitable choice for my West/South West facing wall? Assuming yes, how many supporting wires should I put on the wall? My initial thought is to have 12’ long horizontal wires spaced 12” apart, and vertical wires every 18”. I am keen to keep the wiring support as unobtrusive as possible so the fewer the wires the better. I would appreciate observations.
Rutland, England

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,000
    As long as you have horizontal wires at 12"/30c intervals up the walls with tensioners at the ends and thru vine eyes so there is an air gap between the wires and the walls the clematis will be fine.  As for spread, you'll be training it in and can spread it as horizontally or as diagonally as you like so that potential 4m high becomes up to 8m of width.

If you like, you could also wind some wire in a zig zag pattern between the horizontals to give a bit of extra support and guidance.  Galvanised wire is very discreet and won't be visible at all once the clematis grows up and over it.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw