Forum home The potting shed

Horticultural auctions

delskidelski Posts: 111
edited 23 February in The potting shed
Anyone have experience with buying plants from horticultural auctions and whether or not it's worth it? Looking for a bargain, maybe out of season nursery stock. Am I likely to get too many of the same plant?
Been watching Real Gardens (1998-2000) with Monty Don and it was mentioned in one of the episodes.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,580
    I've never heard of such a thing
    Devon.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,953
    I have no experience, but I've read several references in Monty Don's books. I think he used them when he was first transforming Longmeadow from a field to a garden, perhaps since as well, but you're talking about big quantities and not always getting exactly what you want. I can't give specific examples but I think he bought all the hedge plants in one go (so in the hundreds) and maybe ended up with a different type of lime tree from what he was after. If I've remembered that right you'll need a lot of space to accommodate 'mistakes'.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • delskidelski Posts: 111
    Found a couple from searching internet.
    Monty was helping a couple of police officers from Devon (I think) and the guy mentioned he'd got a bunch of plants from a horticultural auction.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,983
    Monty was helping a couple of police officers from Devon (I think) and the guy mentioned he'd got a bunch of plants from a horticultural auction.

They fell off the back of a lorry.😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    :D Makes sense, they've got those "police" auctions! Profiteering from criminal activity.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,238
    There were some horticultural auctions in Suffolk a few years ago when land used by a nursery for growing in shrubs and trees was sold.. Think they were sold in large lots. Not really suitable for private gardeners but good for landscaping businesses with contracts to plant up new housing estates etc.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 650
    They have them here in the local mart building usually used for sheep and cattle sales.

You can go in advance and have a good mooch, so no excuse for buying any mistakes. They have a good range of bulbs, individual trees and shrubs, and some perennials.
    I've been a few times, and it's good fun.
    I did really well once when the weather was awful, so very few people there, and easy to get stuff at a really good price.
    I've only ever bought things I was after anyway. We have a large garden (over 3 acres), which we developed from scratch, so the plant auctions have been great for saving money.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
    Cheaper than £2 per 9cm pot? A couple of years ago I bought £8 shrubs and have been severely disappointed by their growth. Best growth from the £2 lot was a dianthus (not the "spray carnation" kind).
    My borders are so empty and bare and I want to do something about it. I thought a bunch of auction plants would do in 6 months what I haven't been able to achieve in 2 years.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,217
    Check out the  secret gardening club on line.  They get surplus stock from nurseries and GCs and sell at very reasonable prices. Mostly herbaceous perennials, but a wide range.  
    AB Still learning

I've had various orders from SGC over the years and I find their current prices unacceptable.