Forum home Plants

wild garlic coming through last years bark- can I pull the leaves off

I started gardening in the first lockdown and spent hours pulling out wild garlic and then placed thick bark chips down to stop it coming through . Despite best intentions we did not always remove the small bulbs and now it is popping through again- some deeply entwined within my peonies . If I just pull off the green leaves and then put more bark down - will it help stop the wild garlic ? It is in our lawn which is mainly weeds and moss anyway -and I will be out on my hands and knees trying to get the bulbs out- but I need to know if my time is wasted if I just only pull out the leaves .. sorry it is driving me crazyyyyy

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,452
    edited 23 February
    If you remove every leaf (make pesto? or soup) there will be nothing to feed the bulbs and it will, eventually, weaken and die.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 650
    Hi @selinasally,

Just a thought .... make sure you don't bury your peonies in any bark you use.
    They can fail to flower if mulched too deeply.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • thank you so much Bee xxxx