Forum home Fruit & veg

Afternoon all

I’ve been on and off of this forum for a few years. I have finally purchased my own home with a lovely size garden and a great front garden. I have always wanted to grow a bit of my own produce, chillies, tomatoes, herbs but leave room for the kids to play. I’d really appreciate a starting point, I am an absolute novice, anything I have tried growing has died! Oh I 1 plant I have always wanted to grow is Lemon Verbena, is this possible in the U.K.? I smelt the plant whilst living in Cyprus and fell in love with the aroma! Thanks in advance all, anything you’d need to know regarding the garden or anything I’ll do my best to answer!

• B3B3 Posts: 15,866
    edited 23 February
    Welcome to the forum Jamie and good luck with your new garden. You can certainly grow it here. Someone will be along to tell you how😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,287
    Hi Jamie   - congrats on your new home. I hope you and your family are very happy there.
    You most certainly can grow lemon verbena (Aloysia citrodora) in the uk.
    I had one in a 7.5L pot that somehow managed to live quite happily in the garden for many years. I took no care of it other than pruning it in spring, but by late April/early may it sprouted and done well. I think the beast from the east done for it a few years ago.
    I had one in a garden border for a few years too, but lost that when a house extension was built over it and it was too established to move.
    I'll be getting another this year.
    Mine was in quite a sunny and reasonably sheltered spot.
    I gave it a mulch each spring and tried to not let it dry out during the summer and it was fine.
    They're very late to come into bud and I was always sure it had died, but by May growth all of a sudden gets underway.
    I guess they're not as hardy as some plants, but didn't have any problems with them during normal winters here in Essex.
    As you say the aroma is incredible - even more lemony than lemons!!

More info from the RHS here
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/284648/Aloysia-citrodora/Details
    Note the bit about hardiness
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pete.8 said:
    Hi Jamie   - congrats on your new home. I hope you and your family are very happy there.
    You most certainly can grow lemon verbena (Aloysia citrodora) in the uk.
    I had one in a 7.5L pot that somehow managed to live quite happily in the garden for many years. I took no care of it other than pruning it in spring, but by late April/early may it sprouted and done well. I think the beast from the east done for it a few years ago.
    I had one in a garden border for a few years too, but lost that when a house extension was built over it and it was too established to move.
    I'll be getting another this year.
    Mine was in quite a sunny and reasonably sheltered spot.
    I gave it a mulch each spring and tried to not let it dry out during the summer and it was fine.
    They're very late to come into bud and I was always sure it had died, but by May growth all of a sudden gets underway.
    I guess they're not as hardy as some plants, but didn't have any problems with them during normal winters here in Essex.
    As you say the aroma is incredible - even more lemony than lemons!!

More info from the RHS here
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/284648/Aloysia-citrodora/Details
    Note the bit about hardiness
    Thanks for commenting bud. I ain’t too far from Billericay so hopefully should have some luck with it. I said if it’s the only thing I can grow I’d be extremely happy, so fingers crossed! Do you have any recommendations of where to get established plants? I have a south facing garden so should be quite ideal for growing.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,287
    We're spoilt for nurseries around here and I've seen them frequently.
    Summerhill do sell them, but like most nurseries they probably wont be on display until they leaf out.
    I'd get 2-3 small plants. They'll be much cheaper. They grow quickly, and if you do loose one, you've got spares.
    Cuttings are easy too, so won't be long before you have a lemon verbena hedge :)
    The last one I bought was from a scottish nursery on ebay, but can't remember the name. It was only a couple of quid and looked like the end of a pencil sticking out of the compost, but they grow fast.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pete.8 said:
    We're spoilt for nurseries around here and I've seen them frequently.
    Summerhill do sell them, but like most nurseries they probably wont be on display until they leaf out.
    I'd get 2-3 small plants. They'll be much cheaper. They grow quickly, and if you do loose one, you've got spares.
    Cuttings are easy too, so won't be long before you have a lemon verbena hedge :)
    The last one I bought was from a scottish nursery on ebay, but can't remember the name. It was only a couple of quid and looked like the end of a pencil sticking out of the compost, but they grow fast.
    Wicked, when I settle in and get the garden started I’ll definitely grab a few. I can’t wait to get it started and get the kids involved! We have a pear and apple tree in the garden so it’s definitely a good start!