Forum home Plants

Geum, success or lack thereof

MeomyeMeomye Posts: 644
I have not had a lot of success with my Totally Tangerine or Banana variety of these. What sort of conditions do they like please? Should they repeat flower? I  only ever seem to get one flush and they are finished, I did deadhead, was that wrong? I do love Geums and would love more if I can work out what I am doing wrong! :/ t i a

• gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 152
    They are both perrenials so should come back. Probably a bit early in the year to be showing any growth yet though. Mine are planted in full sun, south west facing garden and i find them very reliable. Are yours in beds or in pots?
  • KayJKayJ Midsomer NortonPosts: 23
    My Totally Tangerine are my real stalwarts, last year flowered from April till Sept/Oct. I deadhead religeously, and trim back tatty leaves too. They prefer plenty of sun but some of mine do well in part/light shade too. Many of my other varieties are one-flush types, but the TTs are stars for re-flowering, even in my heavy soil! Looking a bit sad at the moment though, but showing signs of promising fresh growth..... :)
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,288
    As said above Totally Tangerine like full sun and a free draining soil. Having said that, mine really suffered last year through drought. I dug them up and potted them and they have new growth appearing. I'm going to replant them somewhere that I can keep an eye on the watering.
    Banana Custard has always stayed small but flowers quite well, but that's in a shadier location. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,530
    I've given up on mine, they don't do well here.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,766
    Heavy clay, full sun. Watered as needed. TT went daft last year blooms on multiple stems 2-3 ft  most of last year. Went well with toadflax. A double red one flowered through the mild winter and all summer. Will see if I can find the label if you're interested.. My Mrs Bradshaw was in partial shade and didn't like it much. Stems all over the place. Composted the yellow ones as I didn't like them. Toooo yellow and kept trying to die so I let them.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    @B3 funny isnt it, i have mrs bradshaw growing in the front garden which is north facing, and in shade all day and it grew great.
    . Curmudgeonly bggggrs aren't they?😉
    Yup. I can grow anything in the wrong place. I Just struggle growing plants where i actually want them😂!
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,079
    Geum Borisii grow well for me. Look like a smaller variety of Geum Totally Tangerine
    They like a good humus soil and watering in very dry weather otherwise normally grow very freely 
    saw that one last year but the unfortunate  name put me off 😉