Forum home Problem solving

under cables

i have a problem with ssen, they are saying all home owner should know the location of all electric cables. how many out there know yours?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,314
    I shouldn't imagine everyone knows where their supply cables are, although there are ways of finding out.
    https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/safety/around-power-lines/request-plans-showing-where-electricity-cables-are

• Your local main supplier should provide you with service drawings upon request
  • Sorry, I did not get my problem across that well. Ssen would like home owners to carry out a cable trace even if planting a shrub. My problem was, the cable was  three inches (75mm) below the surface. In reach of a dog or cat digging or raking or kids just playing.
  • But, how many of the general  public do know the cables in there gardens, together with depths.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,238
    All underground electrical cable should be of the armoured type in order to be safe if disturbed during gardening etc.  

If you scroll down on this link you’ll find the appropriate regulations for types and depth of cable. 

I think I’m correct in saying that the cabling the ‘other side’ of the meter is the responsibility of the supply company. 

I believe that electricity supply companies are trying to establish the whereabouts if cabling order to facilitate the installation of Smart meters.  If you’re at all concerned about the safety of the cabling you should notify the supply company. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks Dave,
    Your message was missing the link.
    I am  inclined to think, that not many house hold know the location & depth of cables passing through the garden.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,238
    Sorry the link didn’t appear ... hope this works 

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/utility-depths.htm

you have to scroll down quite a way to the section on depth of cables. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AngelicantAngelicant CheshirePosts: 12
    Sorry, I did not get my problem across that well. Ssen would like home owners to carry out a cable trace even if planting a shrub. My problem was, the cable was  three inches (75mm) below the surface. In reach of a dog or cat digging or raking or kids just playing.
    Was this your supply line or something that had been added to supply power to an outbuilding?
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,181
    Thanks for that link @Dovefromabove. Next month we’re having a wall built in the garden and while the contractors are here with their digger we’re asking them to lay conduits to the garage ready for the purchase of a new electric car in the three or so years. It’s 35+ metres from the house to the garage so laying the basis for cabling is quite an undertaking. I now feel I can talk to the groundwork people exuding just a slight air of competence and knowledge,
  • It the supply to the house.