Forum home Problem solving

PRUNING FIR TREEES - IS THIS NORMAL

I've recently bought a house with a considerable number of trees. The previous owner has pruned the fir trees on the side which were providing cover from view. One side has been left with full, green branches, the other side nearest the house has been stripped to the naked trunk. Is this normal? I ask because it doesn't seem so to me but I have seen a number of houses in the area to which the same 'pruning' has been done. 

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 593
    Like many conifers, yours are ones that do not regenerate if someone has cut into the old wood. Yew is an exception.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to be done to remedy the situation - they will always look like this. Also, if you were to cut back the green side you would find that you only cut back so far. Stop well before you find the branches become bare.

Sorry I cannot give you better news. Conifers can make excellent hedges and screens but it is critical that they are maintained from the get go so that you are always cutting into greenery.

The only option is to grow something in front - tricky given the border is quite narrow - or considering trying to establish an evergreen climber, using the bare limbs as a support.
  • Rachel, really helpful. Many thanks.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,217
    I agree,  you either have to take them out, and start again,  or as suggested grow some evergreen climbers up them.
    AB Still learning