Forum home Problem solving

Remove (plume?) Thistle Weeds - before turfing

Hello All

I have what i have been told are Plume thistle weeds ( please correct me if i am wrong ) in some ground that i want to turn into a lawn. 

When we moved in there were so many of them ( maybe 60+ in an area of maybe 4m * 5m ) I have removed them and was carefully treating them with glyphosate from July - end of summer, waiting for decent growth then spraying when plenty of leaf growth which kills that plant.

However they keep coming back its like wack a mole and i don't know how i will ever get rid of them. The ground is now bare soil ready for turfing.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to getting rid of them for good, they can literally sprout from a tiny bit of woody root. However if i go digging its difficult to locate the roots to remove them.

I would rotavate before turfing but i'm scared that this would make things even worse.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,070
    If that's the same as I had, they have deep horizontal 'runners' and I had to keep up with the glyphosate on newly appearing ones for about 3 years before they finally gave-up.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply bob wow that is a big old slog i am in for. I have also been trying other things like putting plant pots of top of them to get them to use up their energy. I guess unless anyone else has feedback here ill crack ahead with my lawn and then keep treating them as and when they come up.