Forum home The potting shed

Seed/module tray recommendations

Hi!
I'd really like to invest in some good quality seed/module trays. I've got some flimsy ones that are fine, but aren't the easiest to work with. Ideally, I want to buy something I can use for years to come. I've seen the Charles Dowding trays, but they are too big for the scale at which I'm growing veg. 
I'd love to hear people's recommendations!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,899
    I use root trainers for sweet peas. They seem to last years.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,166
    We don't use trays any more.  We found it too fiddly to remove the seedlings from the trays to pot them up, and found we were losing too many seedlings (especially for plants that don't like to be transplanted).  We find it much easier and more successful to start with small pots, and then to move the seedlings to larger ones when they reach the right size.  They can be simply tipped out of the smaller pots, with minimal root damage, which we find is better. 

For beans/peas, we germinate using kitchen roll soaked in water, and placed in a glass jar on a windowsill, We then transplant the seedlings into larger pots, avoiding the need for trays or small pots.  It's the most effective method we have found for germinating large seeds like those.

Before you rush out to buy trays, give some thought to whether this is actually the best method for you.  If you decide it is, then the root trainers that @fidgetbones
    mentions is probably a good idea.  The standard trays that most gardeners use are too shallow for any substantial roots to develop.