Forum home Problem solving

Boreholes in apple tree

I think there is a woodpecker nesting in a very old apple tree. Two holes emerged very quickly and the culprit has not been seen. The holes are very tidy and about 10cm diameter. 

Is the pest likely to drill more holes, and how do I prevent this critter from killing my tree?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,983
    If the damage has been caused by a woodpecker, then it means that something was already burrowing around in the timber for the woodpecker to chase. No animal is going to expend vital energy in just knocking holes in things for the fun of it. So the woodpecker has done you a favour.

That aside, apple trees live for hundreds of years and, over time, lose limbs to storms and suffer from the predations of thousands of living creatures. They generally survive.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • [Glen][Glen] Posts: 55
    These holes are large and deep. There is no sign that the creator of these caves was picking something from under the bark. Are they not more likely to be signs of nesting?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,837
    Probably nesting holes, but would only happen, if tree already diseased.
    Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,983
    edited 22 February
    Be glad that you have a woodpecker. Better than pigeons.😊

Here’s what the RSPB has to say.

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/ask-an-expert/previous/appletreehole.aspx

Next stop nuthatches.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.