Forum home Plants

Growing an acorn in water

I've started an acorn growing in a vase of water. I gathered the acorn around October 2020 and put it in a bag of wet tissue in the fridge for a few weeks, then in a cool cupboard. Once the roots had grown, I then put it in this vase and it has been growing nicely. But how much longer can I keep it going in a vase of water? I guess I should transfer it to soil at some stage, but when. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

• Fascinating. I hadn't heard of people doing that with acorns. It's like people used to do with Avocado stones - maybe they still do, or maybe that was something from the era when Avocados were a novelty.

I reckon it's time for soil. It's looking a bit pale, with darker green veins in the leaves, as though it's noticing the lack of nutrient. An oak wouldn't be in leaf if outside at this time of year, so maybe keep indoors until such time as the trees outside are in leaf. One could also add plant food to the water, but I imagine difficult to get the right amount - too much probably worse than none, and once there is food in the water, then green algae will start to grow.
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 57
    Nothing helpful to add, sorry! But I also think this is really cool, I'm imagining an oak tree growing in a vase  :D 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,885
    I would pot it on into  a six inch pot of soil, not fibrous compost.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thank you all so much for your very sensible feedback. It's not reasonable to think that this poor tree can thrive much longer in a jar of water (even though it looks pretty). I'll find a pot and will give its roots some soil to dig into. Thanks everyone for the sage advice!
  • Yep, I believe so. It looks quite awesome.