Forum home Garden design

Messy wall help

• Does anyone have an idea on how to make this look better? I’d like to cover it with something (grass maybe). Also any help on the overlooked situation would be thankful
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    edited February 2021
    Eventually the gabions will accumulate dirt and grow weeds and grass but you wont be able to mow it
    Too much work keeping the lawn edges tidy for my liking.
    Have you plans to put in any borders or are you going with the fitted grass look but if you want some screening you will need a decent depth border for any planting
    If you want grass over them it would have to be artificial.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,707
    I've never seen gabions used like that - is it for drainage?
    I would dig a nice wide bed in front of the gabions and plant shrubs and maybe a couple of small trees, filled in with perennials and bulbs. But what suits you will depend on whether you are a keen gardener or just want something that looks nice with not much time spent on it.
    I've never seen gabions used like that - is it for drainage?

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,531
    How strange, looks like a typical developers bodge to cover up a difference in levels along the fence. I would imagine you are stuck with it now but it could be disguised with a border right along the fence with various plants in it. To give you more privacy, I would be inclined to add horizontal trellis panels all round first. You could then include various climbing plants like clematis and roses if you wished.
    It rather depends on how much gardening you want to do! 
  • Could you build raised borders around the edge and put a base on them so they sit on the gabions and hide them?

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933
    I would put in some sort of mow-over edge and fill them with crushed rock deep enough to cover the wires.  

This is assuming that because you want to cover them with grass that you likely don’t want a border of plants.  

Or if you're up for weeding and such, fill it with soil (let it settle for a season), then plant up with sedum or something that would be happy there.  
    Utah, USA.