Forum home The potting shed

Rose advice

When inherited a number of neglected roses with our house buried under years of overgrowth and ivy.

Last year they all had a good prune (which may or may not have been done right) to try and restore but they are not doing very well so not sure if they were overpruned. I have no idea about varieties or bush / shrub etc.

Looking for advice on pruning / care / location.

Picture 1 - I have no idea what this is! Its in a spot which gets some sun but is quite shady for most of the day.

Picture 2 is a gorgeous bi-colour orange red. Its in a place which gets quite a bit of sun but some shade - should I prune heavily or just trim? Would it be better being moved to a border?

Picture 3 is a red rose - this was moved quite late in the season is currently in a spot which gets a lot of sun - hoping this will do better this year.

Picture 4 is a yellow rose but is in deep shade in the summer due to a large lime tree and laurel. The laurel is being cut down this year so there should be more light - prune and leave or move?

Picture 5 is a big blousy dark pink rose. In a place which gets about three hours of sun before being shaded by the house. Pruning and location advice needed.

• TreePrettyTreePretty Posts: 20
    edited 19 February
    These are potential borders they can be moved to. Top pic is very open with a young lavender hedge - its the top layer of a rockery currently full of alpines - very hot, dry and sunny.

Second picture is in front of the house but also gets a lot of sun.

Third picture more shady towards the back but the bit that comes out is full sun for most of the day.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,670
    I'm no expert on rose varieties but I would say they all look hungry.

See if you can find some bags of horse manure or similar soil conditioner at your local DIY or GC and give each rose a good thick layer of it all round the base but not actually touching the stems.   I would then wait till mid or late march to see where new buds develop and cut back to just above an outward facing bud on each stem.

Give each rose a liquid feed of rose or tomato food as an extra tonic from late march to end of June/mid July to encourage healthy growth.  later than that will make for sappy stems that don't have time to mature and harden before the autumn frosts start.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • TreePrettyTreePretty Posts: 20
    edited 19 February
    Thanks @Obelixx - they did have a good mulch last year and were fed regularly - but I guess years of neglect have taken their toll. Will mulch and feed again this year and see if they do any better
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,003
    Roses need at least 6 hours of sun. Maybe you could get away with 5 but really more is better. If some of these aren't getting that, move them.
    I wouldn't prune much this year. Let them grow and see how they behave. For the second one, I would cut off the dead wood and shortened that long cane to maybe a half. I guess 1, 4 and maybe 5 need to be moved, you can trim them a bit too. Number 3 looks good, just tidy it (4Ds - dead, dying, diseased, damaged).