Forum home The potting shed

Painting Fence et al

Looking for advice re.aesthetics. I need to re-paint my fence, shed, trellis and arch. Currently, it's all a shade of rusty-brown. I'm thinking about painting the back panels, trellis and arch (and eaves of the shed)  a royal blue! 

Is that too out there? 

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,714
    Sorry but why ask others it's your garden. I would hate it but others wouldn't.
    How much fencing have you?
    Does it all have to be the same colour or would the arch look better in a contrast colour.
    What colour is the shed and why are you just painting the eaves?
    What colour plants are you going to grow agaibst the fence as royal blue rules out a lot of other colours like blue/purple they jyst won't show up. 
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,211
    Your garden, your choice! :)
    It is quite a dominant colour though, and you need to think about how the rest of the garden will be used and look.  If it is just grass and paving it won't matter but it could perhaps detract from other features and overwhelm some flower colours. It could look good with lots of white, softer blues and lilac/soft yellow, though, or good in a different way with bright reds (or pinks) and yellows.
    Are you keeping the rusty brown on the sides, and do you think it will look good with that?
    A light grey might work  with it better.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,580
    remember that whatever colour you use may " bleed " through to the other side 
    Devon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,866
    There was a fashion for painting garden furniture in the 80s or 90s . I had a cobalt blue picnic table effort. Lime green leaves looked good against it, but as buttercup says, it's a very dominant colour.  I agree that a more neutral colour or a colour that will make the fence recede would be a better long term option. It's very easy to go off strong colours.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 937
    I paint both sides of my fence - I'm not sure my neighbour would appreciate a blue. But then I assume they like the green I picked anyway. They haven't ever said anything.
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,314
    Whatever pleases you l would say, although @ Hostafan1 is right, you need to be careful of it bleeding through to the other side.
    Back in the day l had Barleywood Blue fencing with lighter blue trellis. Of it's time,but l liked it.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,640
    From looking at your post from Feb 2020 you were thinking about painting the back fence then.

In my humble opinion I should get some bits of wood separate from the fences and buy some test pots and use them to decide on the final colours and then you can paint the fences with confidence.

My neighbour did this several years ago and when he had finished he just recycled the bits of wood.

Good Luck !!
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • Many thanks K67, Buttercupdays, Hostafan1, B3, steveTu, AnniD and NewBoy2 for your replies. Apologies for the delay in replying.

K67, I am not looking to re-paint the entire fence in blue; just the panels at the back of the garden, arch and trellis. So yes, I am looking for a contrasting colour to the predominant/current reddish brown. 

I do like the idea of a light grey, Buttercupdays.  

I have taken into consideration the plants which are growing there and for which those panels would be a backdrop. 

Hostfan1, thanks for the advice about the paint bleeding; hadn't thought of that!

You're right NewBoy2, I'm still dithering about the fence a year on! Got to stop procrastinating.